GTC seeks a highly motivated and senior professional services controller to lead a 5 to 6 person finance and accounting team and assume day-to-day hands-on responsibility for accounting functions. The candidate will regularly interface with, and report directly to, firm management.
The candidate must have well-rounded and deep experience handling all accounting functions and tax reporting. A strong sense of accountability is a must. In addition, the candidate must have the confidence to report to firm leadership on various finance related topics.
The candidate will bear the title Finance Officer and Controller. This is not a Chief Financial Officer position. The candidate will assume hands-on and full responsibility for the functional areas outlined below.
The candidate must work from the Westwood office on a regular basis.
- 10+ years of full-time accounting and finance experience in a law firm
- Deep experience (10+ years) with integrated time, billing and accounting software
- Experience with SurePoint (formerly, Rippe Kingston Legal Management Software) a plus
- Responsible for preparing financial statements, including a monthly cash projection report, monthly, quarterly and annual P&Ls, and various comparative and statistical reports
- Plan, direct and coordinate all accounting operational functions, including oversight of accounting staff
- Coordinate the activities of the firm’s accountants, including the preparation, compilation and review of financial statements and the preparation, review and filing of federal, state and local income and excise tax returns
- Manage year-end cash and tax position
- Prepare and manage firm budgets
- Develop and monitor business performance metrics, such as client and matter profitability
- Provide management and firm committees (including compensation committee and billing committee) with information vital to the decision-making process
- Coordinate and oversee affiliate tax planning and compliance, including being the liaison to foreign accountants and tax advisors
- Manage firm’s 401(k) administration, including annual compliance testing and filing of annual report
- Manage all insurance policies, including renewal applications, premium comparison and annual risk assessment
- Manage firm subscriptions (research and otherwise) and vendor renewals and contract negotiation
- Assess current accounting operations, offer recommendations for improvement and implement new processes
- Evaluate accounting and internal control processes
- Evaluate the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed
- Hire, train and retain skilled accounting staff
- Excellent written and oral expression
- High comfort level with work in a “virtual” environment and eagerness to build relationships
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to demonstrate professional discretion and sound judgment
- Work effectively under sometimes stressful (time-sensitive) conditions
- Strong prioritization skills
- Strong sense of accountability
If you are interested in this opportunity and your qualifications meet our requirements, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.